How Do I Know if I Have Gut Issues?!
Recognizing Symptoms and What They Mean
The gut plays a pivotal role that extends far beyond digestion. The gut microbiome, a fascinating ecosystem of critters living in our gastrointestinal tract, has a huge influence on our health and well-being. From digesting our food to impacting our mental health, the health of our gut is crucial.
So if you’re wondering if your gut is healthy, read on! Let’s explore common symptoms that are indicating gut issues and what you can do to unlock all the benefits of a vibrant, balanced gut!
Gut Health is SO Important…
Before we dive into the symptoms, let's understand the basic concepts. The gut, often referred to as our "second brain," is the ring-leader of digestion, nutrient absorption, and even your immune system. The gut-brain axis is the highway of communication between your gut and your brain, impacting emotions, stress, anxiety and mental health. Maintaining a diverse and healthy balance of gut bugs is essential for optimal health.
How Healthy is Your Gut?!
Maybe you're wondering if your gut is sending you signals that it needs some love and attention. Here are common symptoms that you may experience that indicate imbalances within your gut.
- Bloating and gas: Frequent bloating and embarrassing gas indicate an imbalance in the gut bacteria, creating issues with digestion.
- Irregular bowel movements: Whether it’s constipation, diarrhea or a combination! If you aren’t going #2 between 1-3 times every day, this is a problem.
- Abdominal pain or discomfort: Confusing stomach aches and uncomfortable fullness is linked to inflammation in the gut.
- Reacting to more and more foods, including gluten and dairy: With an unhealthy gut, your immune system will attack foods it shouldn’t be responding to.
- Feeling uncomfortable even after eating healthy foods, like vegetables: It’s not an issue with the food, the problem is your gut!
- Cramps, bloating, and nausea after eating: An unhealthy gut will lead to increased intolerances to foods.
- Unexplained weight gain or loss: The gut’s influence on metabolism and fat storage can contribute to unexpected changes in weight.
- Confusing weight gain: A disturbed gut can extract more calories from food, leading to weight gain.
- Difficulty losing weight: Your gut is responsible for absorbing the nutrients from the healthy food you’re eating. If this isn’t happening, metabolism will slow down.
- Acne, eczema, and other skin problems: Inflammation in the gut can manifest as skin issues.
- Inflammation and your immune system: An imbalanced gut can trigger body-wide inflammation, affecting the skin.
- The answer to healing your skin may not be expensive creams and topicals, it is healing the gut!
- Anxiety and depression: Disruption in the gut can be a root cause of many mood imbalances.
- Feel-good chemicals produced in the gut: Neurotransmitters like serotonin (aka the “happy hormone”), is primarily produced in the gut, impacting mood.
- Probiotics and mental health: Research suggests that taking the right probiotic for you might alleviate symptoms of anxiety and depression!
Taking Steps Towards a Healthier Gut - What to do!Eating for Gut Health:
- Foods to eat: Focus on a whole foods diet that includes plenty of fermented foods, whole grains, healthy fats, and fiber-rich veggies!
- Foods to avoid: Minimize processed foods, inflammatory oils, and excessive sugar intake.
- Gut-brain connection: Stress affects gut health and vice versa; managing stress benefits both.
- Tips to support your nervous system : Spend time outside, practice yoga, and incorporate this magnesium supplement into your evening routine to calm your stress response and improve sleep quality.
- Personalized probiotic: Have you heard that everyone should take a probiotic? Although we love a good probiotic, you shouldn’t be taking the same probiotic as your bestie. Take our Gut Health Quiz to get a personalized probiotic for your needs!
- Personalized supplements: This same rule goes for all supplements! Our quiz gets to the root cause of your gut issues and sends your personalized, rebalancing supplement recommendations straight to your inbox!
We are so glad that you are interested in supporting your gut to ELEVATE your whole-body health and wellbeing! Take our Quiz and get started on your personalized gut health supplements. Get ready to feel the best you’ve ever felt!